DE BLASIO SCHOOLS FAILURES
- 30% of our high school students don’t graduate, half of graduates are not ready for college, and more than half do not have the English and math skills needed to get a job.
- New York City has failed 200,000 minority students who haven’t been taught to read or do math at grade level, and 40,000 mostly minority students stuck on charter school waiting lists.
- Bill de Blasio’s $400 million Renewal program has been a complete disaster; one-sixth of students leave early, only 13% of those who stay reading at their grade level, only 8% do math at grade level.
MASSEY SCHOOLS SOLUTIONS
- Reward and replicate success, expanding and duplicating schools and methods that work, while rescuing students trapped in failing schools.
- Utilize education grants, tax credits, vouchers, and savings accounts to give parents and students real choice to pick schools that actually work in every neighborhood.
- Support and expand charter schools that work, instead of holding them back because of politics and special interests.
DE BLASIO PUBLIC SAFETY FAILURES
- Our public spaces feel less safe, with random slashing attacks targeting pedestrians, commuters being pushed in front of subway cars, and a 55% increase in hate crimes and bias attacks.
- Crime is up 32% in city parks and up 4% in city housing, and neighborhoods like the South Bronx saw a 14% increase in crime last year.
- De Blasio has failed to maintain the counterterror capabilities of the NYPD, resulting in the first major terror attack in New York since 9/11.
MASSEY PUBLIC SAFETY SOLUTIONS
- Stand with police and work with the police commissioner to fully empower and fund the NYPD’s community policing, and enable them to do their job by always having their back.
- Maintain public safety and fight terrorism by providing the resources, support, and leadership our police need and deserve.
- Continue useful neighborhood policing tactics such as stop, question, and frisk as necessary to get illegal guns off the street, protecting our city while respecting the rights and dignity of all New Yorkers.
Transportation and Infrastructure
DE BLASIO TRANSPORTATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE FAILURES
- Crumbling infrastructure and endless roadworks have made commuting impossible, with traffic and train delays getting worse while tolls and MetroCard fares keep going up.
- There are more than 50,000 weekday train delays every month, and transit crime is up 3%. The average car speed is down to a tortoise-like eight miles per hour in Manhattan, yet pedestrian deaths went up 4% last year.
- Mayor de Blasio does not deny that travel in our city is becoming more difficult, expensive and unsafe. He just denies it is his fault. As usual, Mayor de Blasio blames anyone but himself, and refuses to take responsibility or action when it comes to our city’s failing infrastructure.
MASSEY TRANSPORTATION AND INFRASTRUCTURE SOLUTIONS
- Smart transportation investment in all five boroughs, including major upgrades and improvements to our subways, expressways, bridges, and tunnels, as well as a total ground-up overhaul of city traffic management policies to ease congestion and protect pedestrians.
- Immediate pricing relief for commuters through discounted off-peak MTA fares, with 50% fare reductions for travel during non-peak hours, combined with a a rapid system-wide MTA maintenance campaign including immediate upgrades to subway signals and switches, IT networks, safety elements, and security measures.
- Transformative new infrastructure projects that bring the G train into Manhattan, end nonstop roadworks, take back New York’s waterfront, build parks and green spaces over expressways in residential neighborhoods, and expand the PATH system to Staten Island and across the city.
DE BLASIO JOBS FAILURES
- Bill de Blasio has failed working and middle class New Yorkers, who pay some of the highest income taxes in the country while facing cost of living 70% higher than the national average, with too few good jobs that can support a family.
- 51% of New Yorkers are struggling to make ends meet, with property tax assessments up 22% while welfare rolls are at historic highs.
- De Blasio has pushed overregulation and taxes that are forcing small and family-owned businesses across the city to close, from bookstores to diners to family restaurants.
MASSEY JOBS SOLUTIONS
- Restore the smart pro-growth policies of the Bloomberg era that drive job creation, promote innovation, and attract businesses and entrepreneurs with tax breaks, regulatory relief, and city support.
- Ensure that city programs provide a pathway to work while breaking the cycle of poverty and permanent dependency, including volunteer, internship, and mentorship programs that provide all New York City residents, especially students, with a road to success.
- End regulations and taxes that punish small businesses, supporting local entrepreneurs by simplifying and reducing permitting, eliminating fees, and cutting business and property taxes.
DE BLASIO HOUSING FAILURES
- Prolonged failure to extend 421-a tax abatement crippled new housing, while de Blasio hikes water and sewer rates that punish current owners and tenants.
- Mandatory Inclusionary Housing, which attempts to force developers to build affordable housing, is a failure, with neighborhoods from Inwood to Sunnyside rejecting de Blasio’s top-down rezoning plans.
- NYCHA is in crisis, and its over 400,000 residents face utilities outages, crumbling facilities, crime that is up 4%, and a $19 billion capital shortfall.
MASSEY HOUSING SOLUTIONS
- On day one, reach out to the Governor and Legislature to improve and extend the 421-a tax credit for New York City so that we can start building housing again, in all five boroughs.
- End top-down, City Hall imposed rezoning and work with neighborhoods to get communities the zoning they want, lifting onerous requirements that are stifling new housing construction.
- Reinvigorate and recapitalize NYCHA by allowing and promoting development and investment on unused NYCHA assets and land.